Thursday, November 18, 2010

The Lobstertini

Hmmm. This may not be a cocktail one might make easily at home. But it absolutely HAS to be included in The Greatest Drink in the World... This Week's library of cocktails.


The Recipe:
Nah. I am not gonna even PRETEND that this is something someone may be able to do at home! If you want to try this cocktail, you cannot bring this mountain to Mohammed. You need to go out and get one in its natural environment: The Shanty.



Diane's notes: The Lobstertini, (now made nationally famous for being featured in the Triple D episode titled "Wings, Dogs & Claws") is simply our version of a dirty martini made with vodka. We use Absolut, but you could use any vodka you like. We have had mixed success with citrus or lemon flavored vodkas, but I feel that it overpowers the subtle flavor of the lobster essence.

"Lobster Essence" is simply lobster stock (or broth) which we make by simmering together lobster bodies, carrots, celery, onion & fresh herbs for a few hours. We then strain it once and then run it through a coffee filter to make it less cloudy. Chill and keep for one week, refrigerated. (I usually make a large batch and freeze it in quart containers to be handy when needed.)

Then make your dirty martini as you normally would, replacing the olive juice with a healthy dose of
lobster essence - then garnish the drink with a lobster claw and a twist of lemon.

Shantastic!

Peace,
Diane


Chris's notes: To be honest, I have been aware of The Lobstertini for some time. And I knew that eventually I had to try it. It loomed over me like driving towards a storm cloud on the horizon and me with no reverse gear.
I was very intimidated. There was an imaginary wall in my mind that kept cocktails on one side and seafood on the other, and never the twain shall meet!

Those of you who can look at this image and NOT be intimidated, well, you are either more adventuresome than I or, more likely, you've had one of these.

And that is the trick, there, isn't it? This isn't a cocktail to just sit back and kill time with conversation and an appetizer. This baby is The Show.

I ordered mine, with a feeling akin to strapping on a parachute and stepping to open door of a plane, ("I can do this!") and when it arrived, I was very impressed with the presentation!

My first sip was also quite a surprise. It was hardly the "Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern " after-school special that I was expecting. It was subtle in flavor and damned tasty.
True, one must be a fan of martinis to like this: There is no dodging that, (fortunately, I am!). But the "lobster essence" was far less intrusive or overwhelming than that of the olive brine in a Dirty Martini.

The recommended approach, I was instructed, is to eat the lobster claw at the same time as enjoying the cocktail, and to swirl forkfuls of meat around in the drink before biting into it.

In the end, this was not just a drink, it was a snack. And an experience!
I readily admit that it would be easy to mock this drink, because it is very different. It is a bit more difficult to mock it, however, after you try.

It is one tasty treat.


P.S. If I ever get around to finishing my "Most Interesting-Looking Cocktails" list, this baby is a contender for the top spot!


------------------------
------------------------
This week's "Barely-related video" is almost completely unrelated! Please enjoy "Treat Her Right," by that legendary entertainer, Mr. T!






1 comment:

  1. I only wish Mr. T and singing went together as well as lobster and vodka!

    "M is for the moan and the miserable groan from the pain that she felt when I was born..."

    Where is that Grammy!?!

    ReplyDelete